Basically, we have wanted a pet for ages. Living in a flat where pets weren't allowed and with no access to outside space meant is was a complete no-no. But we now live in a house, so what's stopping us? Well, quite a few things actually.
After dog-sitting the neighbour's dog a couple of weeks ago, we realised a pet really would be a lovely addition to our home. We gave it some thought, looked at information on a local rescue centre's website and last week, we even went to visit a couple of cats, two sisters, that matched our "criteria" (sorry, I hate having to use that word in this context). (For the record, we'd both prefer a dog but full time jobs and commuting mean that's just not an option unfortunately).
The cats were gorgeous, that's not the problem. Actually, it might have been easier if they'd been moody little shits, we should have just thought, forget about it, it's just not for us. But they were terribly friendly and looked a lot of fun.
So here is our problem. We're just not sure whether to take the step or not. Pets make great additions to a family, but are we ready for the commitment yet? And there are so many downsides that we just can't shake off....
- having to give up some amount of cleanliness in the house. Cats climb everywhere and you just don't know what they've been up to when you're out at work all day
- having to deal with cat hair getting everywhere
- feeling a little nervous about leaving them on their own in our new house for about 10 hours each day...
- having to compromise on the type of carpet we had our eye on because apparently you can't have loop carpet with pets...
- the financial commitment is quite large and maybe not the best timing, having just bought a new house and everything. There will be the food, the litter, the vet bills, the cost of jabs and chipping
- the extra worry when organising a holiday (and possible expensive bill at the cattery...)
- Mr Petit Filoux is most probably allergic to cats. Not a great deal, but maybe enough to make the whole idea have to go away entirely
- not knowing where we could fit the litter tray. The house is rather small and there just aren't that many options...
- having to clean up after them if they've been ill on carpet/ furnishings
- the risk that they might scratch wooden flooring and soft furnishings
- the possibility that they'll dig up flowers/ plants in the garden
What's your opinion on the matter? Any tips or suggestions?