I don't like the idea of putting suet in my mincemeat, so mine's suet-free. None of that vegetarian suet either, urgh. So here's my real vegetarian super lush version (inspiration from this website). Make it, you won't be disappointed.
Ingredients (to make about 5 jars)
- 250g soft brown sugar
- 250ml cider (I used Westons Organic)
- 1kg cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 900g fruit and nut - I used:
- 400g sultanas
- 75g blanched almonds
- 20g sour cherries, roughly chopped
- 140g prunes, roughly chopped
- 200g glace cherries, roughly chopped
- 75g cranberries
- zest and juice of half a lemon
- 6 tbsp brandy (I used apricot brandy)
- Dissolve the sugar in the cider in a large pan over a medium heat.
- Add the apples and give it a good stir.
- Add the all the other ingredients, except for the brandy. Mix well, cover and simmer for 30min until the apples have collapsed.
- Leave to cool down slightly, then add the brandy. Stir and bottle up!