Thursday 9 December 2010

If every month was December...

I would be as fat as a whale. Not because I won that chocolate hamper (which has been dispersed and hidden around the flat, with only a few things kept at hand for late night TV nibbling), but because I have discovered that I make the best mince pies in the world. Right, no no no, I'm not getting big headed!! And it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm so so proud of myself, these taste a million times better than the shop bought version. And a little self satisfaction never hurt anyone right?


I made these on Saturday night, using some of the mincemeat I made a couple of weekends ago. And then I thought, wait there, I haven't gone to the bother of making my own mincemeat, only to buy shop bought pastry?! No no no, this won't do! I'm going to pull my socks up, take a deep breath, and make pastry. For the first. Time. Ever. I'm not even kidding. Oh I've made dough already, bread dough, pasta dough... but pastry? I've always been too scared. Or just too fussy - who likes to get flour and butter mix under their nails right?


So I picked the most simple recipe I could find for shortcrust pastry. Followed all the instructions, even let it rest in the fridge. And it worked perfectly. I think Boyfriend's words might have been close to: "this is the best mince pie ever". Or something close. Honest. Oh, and they're at their best warm, with a drizzle of double cream poured on top. I'm not one to do things half-heartedly, that's all I've got to say!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

They look scrummy! If you lived closer I'd be straight round to gobble up the lot - Oink, oink!

The Girl said...

Well done you! I'm terrified of making pastry too, just the very notion scares the bejeebus out of me.

I've decided it's actually impossible to carry on losing weight over December!

Clare said...

They indeed look very yummy!
Well done you!
C
xx

Diane said...

Wonderful - Mince Pies are my fave. xxx

Lucy in the Clouds said...

They look brill! I made my own mince pies for the first time last year and was surprised how well they turned out and how easy really ... am in the mood to make some more I think... ) x

julie said...

The look lovely and the thought of them with a drizzle of double cream is totally mouthwatering - off to grab a snack now!

Nicki - Dinnerware said...

Happy new year to you and each of your readers!