Tuesday 30 November 2010

Suet-free mincemeat

My turn to make mincemeat. Finally. I've finally got round to it. Honestly, it was getting ridiculous. Knowing that this was the only thing I realistically had to do this year, no Christmas cake, no Christmas pudding, just mincemeat. I was feeling the pressure, I mean, a few of you have done and dusted this a few weeks ago already. But I was not one to be defeated and I'm glad to say, it's done! And when I licked the spoon at the end, after filling up about 5 jars, I can say it tasted of heaven.


I don't like the idea of putting suet in my mincemeat, so mine's suet-free. None of that vegetarian suet either, urgh. So here's my real vegetarian super lush version (inspiration from this website). Make it, you won't be disappointed.


Ingredients (to make about 5 jars)

  • 250g soft brown sugar
  • 250ml cider (I used Westons Organic)
  • 1kg cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1tsp ground cinnamon
  • 900g fruit and nut - I used:
    • 400g sultanas
    • 75g blanched almonds
    • 20g sour cherries, roughly chopped
    • 140g prunes, roughly chopped
    • 200g glace cherries, roughly chopped
    • 75g cranberries
  • zest and juice of half a lemon
  • 6 tbsp brandy (I used apricot brandy)
Method

  • Dissolve the sugar in the cider in a large pan over a medium heat.
  • Add the apples and give it a good stir.
  • Add the all the other ingredients, except for the brandy. Mix well, cover and simmer for 30min until the apples have collapsed.
  • Leave to cool down slightly, then add the brandy. Stir and bottle up!

5 comments:

WinnibriggsHouse said...

Lovely recipe, have noted that down to try...no I haven't made mine yet either....or the cake....or the pudding!

Lucy in the Clouds said...

Oh you're so clever! I totally get mine from a jar! I do make my own pastry for the mince pies though :) x

mooncalf said...

ooh yum.

This is the first year I've made my own mincemeat and I'm really looking forward to getting the jars out and making some mince pies!

Taz said...

I don't usually like mince pies but I think I'd like them with your mincemeat. Yummy!

Unknown said...

Sounds and looks yummilious.

It would be a waste of time making my own mincemeat - 5 jars wouldn't last 3 weeks.

Jill x