Thursday 25 February 2010

Soup-tastic



What with Boyfriend having had a tooth removed at the end of last week, we've been having a lot of soups lately. More him than me, but I occasionally partake in his healthy bonanza. One of our favourites at the moment is butternut squash and sweet potato soup. I'm biased if I say you're bound to love this, because I reckon butternut squash is probably my favourite veg ever. Honest. E-VER. But if you feel the same way I do, all I can say is put down whatever it is you're doing, get yourself to the kitchen (via the supermarket if you don't happen to have the necessary ingredients) and get it on. It's that good.


You will need:

  • half a butternut squash, cut in chunks
  • 1 large onion
  • 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in chunks
  • generous pinch of cayenne pepper and paprika

Method

  • Preheat your oven to 195C.
  • Place all the veg in a large baking tray, drizzle over some olive oil and sprinkle some cayenne and paprika. Put as much or little as you like, depends if you like it spicy or not! Add a little bit of freshly ground black pepper too.
  • Put in the oven for 50min (until the veg is soft and cooked).
  • Make 800ml of stock in a large bowl.
  • Add the sweet potato and onion to the bowl.
  • If you're not keen on eating the skin of the butternut squash, scrape off the flesh and add to the bowl. Otherwise, just chuck it all in.
  • Mix using a hand blender.

This makes about 3 servings, but you can easily make more or less, depending on how many people you want to feed. (I usually make more and have it the next day for lunch or freeze it). And that's it! What do you put in your favourite soup?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds lovely, and so easy to make. Me thinks some warm home baked bread with lashings of proper butter would just add to this soup delight.
Thanks for the recipe :0)

Heather said...

You've got me hungry now and I've only just eaten!

My favourite soup is vegetable and lentil. I use: garlic, red onion, leek, carrots, sweet potato and white potato (and obviously lentils!)

Kim - Easy French Food said...

Love the idea of baking the vegetables then transforming them into soup. Bet it makes the house smell great. Thought you and your readers might like to have a peek at this French butternut squash soup recipe. Contains a good shot of cream too. Happy cooking and blogging!

Melanie said...

Looks like a tasty soup you've got here!

My favourite recipe for a soup is one I created. It's got chorizo, rice and tomatoes in it (and other yummy stuff). The recipe is there> :)

The Girl said...

I put nothing in my soup because I DON'T LIKE IT.

I know that doesn't make me normal but I just don't.

I mean I don't hate it I would just rather eat anything else.

Like the time when I'd just got my tongue pierced and my tongue swelled up to twice it's normal size and rather than just eating soup like a normal person I would sit there for an hour with a sandwich, breaking off small bits and shoving them to the back of my mouth to chew.

What's wrong with me?!

Petit Filoux said...

The Girl, Boyfriend says you can't say that until you've tried this soup ;-)