Thursday 26 November 2009

It's chocolate time!!!

Good morning all!! Sorry about being so quiet lately, I feel like I've deglected this little blog!!! But I promise I'm going to make up for it! I have so much stuff to show you, I'm feeling all excited about it!! Today's post is courtesy of my doctors. This may sound a bit weird I know, but basically I had to take yesterday morning off work to go and see my GP/ optician/ dentist for check ups and stuff. Which means I had about 10min at home when it was light!!! You see where I'm going? I've got photos for you!!! Hooray!!!

So. Where is this headed. Well we all know Christmas is fast approaching. Next Tuesday will be the 1st of December. And what does that mean? It's advent calendar time!!! Now, let me explain. I come from a multi-faith family, but am an atheist myself. However, I love Christmas and all the celebrations and family gatherings that go with it. So nothing religious in it for me, just some good times and good food to be had with people I love. So what about advent calendars then? Well, because I come from a multi-faith background, my parents decided it should be left to me to decide which religion, if any, I would want to join when I was old enough to make up my own mind. This meant that I never ever got an advent calendar. And what I could see was that I was missing out on chocolate. This is a kid's point of view ok?!




Since moving to the UK a few years ago, I've realised that around this time of year, supermarkets fill up with lots of alluring advent calendars. However, as pretty as they look, what they hold inside is often disappointing. I'm a 70% dark chocolate kind of girl and what is inside those calendars is not chocolate in my book!!! So, you probably see where I'm going now!! Sorry this has been so long winded!! Well let me get to the point!



I recently read this post and found this website which totally inspired me. That was that. I had to have that little christmas tree looking garland. So guess what I've been doing this week? Printing, cutting, sticking!




And yesterday, between the doctor and the optician, I got it all together!!! So it gives me a few days to admire it before we can finally open the first tree!!! I love it!!!!!



You know what though, I can't for the life of me find the link to the pdf of the little boxes with the christmassy decoration on them. I've got it saved on my computer, so if you want it, leave me a message with your email address and I'll send it onto you!

Have a nice day!! xx

Edit: thanks to Alana from Canada for finding the link for me!!! Here's where you can find the pdf with the numbers and dots on the boxes

15 comments:

The Girl said...

Looks great! Love that it's a bit different.

I always used to sulk because I wasn't allowed a chocolate advent calendar and swore that I would have one when I was a grown up. However I bought one and then realised that a) the chocolate is rubbish and b) some of them don't even have nice Christmas pictures!

I haven't been able to find one that I like since so I sit and sulk on the 1st December :)

dragonfly said...

Oh - I just love the advent swag... Hmmm, I wonder if I've got time to make one! Thanks for sharing the links!

Jennifer said...

It looks great, I love them strung on the string of beads.

Ali said...

I am in love. And want one. It would be worth the one zit I get for every chocolate binge.

PinkCat said...

It looks lovely and so unique.

I agree the chocolate in Advent Calendars is usually rubbish, so I still opt for a picture calendar. I like to see what the picture is each day. (I have a great one for Mr P this year) I'm a big kid really!

I hope you'll show us what's in each tree. x

Liz said...

I love your garland! Enjoy the chocs.

Emma & Rachel said...

Ooh, that looks amazing! I'm so pleased we inspired you!
Rachel x

Lina said...

Very cute - I love it!

Anonymous said...

Me too! Chocolate envy followed by disappointment.
Now I have a calendar with pockets which I put my own chocolate into. But yours looks much, much better. (More elegant, less Santa-ey)

monica said...

oh yes, I'll have the link if you have it!!!

This is totally fab.

Petit Filoux said...

Monica, you didn't leave me your email address so I can't send you the pdf!

clot said...

super cette idée!!!

Alana in Canada said...

I found the pdf for the boxes. It's at
www.browniepointsblog/2006/02/08/pryamid-truffle-boxes

I couldn't copy and paste the url into this space, though--so it may not work.

Thanks for this, though. It's wonderful. I especially love the dots and numbers on the outside of your boxes.

Petit Filoux said...

Alana
Thanks very much for visiting my blog! Thanks for leaving a comment too, but I thought I should let you know that the link that you found is only for the little boxes, whereas I'd found one with the numbers and dots already printed on. Still can't remember where I found it though!
So if you want the pdf, just let me know and I'll send it over to you!

Alana in Canada said...

I found it! I found it! The one with the numbers already printed, this time! And that explains how they got onto the boxes. I love it.

It's linked to this page: http://julieree.blogspot.com/2007/11/wreath-and-advent-and-hello.html

and here is the link itself.

http://www.two-rivers.com/julie/advent_calendar_entire.pdf

Thanks so much for the offer!