Been making waaaayyyy to much of this. Pretty uninspiring photo, I know. And I'm not sure if it's wise of me sharing this recipe with you. Not that it's mine anyway. But it's rather addictive. That is, if you're a crisp munching machine like I am. I've lost count of how many times I've made this over the last few months. Boyfriend said last night that the kitchen constantly smells of coriander. I'm not complaining.
The recipe was found on this US blog (I put my hands up, I got sucked in, I'm a fan - actually I went mental reading the story of how she met her husband - another thing that was addictive! don't say I didn't warn you, once you start, you won't want to stop), so I'm going to be really nice to you and give you the metric equivalent. Actually, forget about that, I'm giving you the easiest recipe in the world.
- tinned tomatoes and chili (if you're not so keen on the chili, a plain tin of tomatoes works just as well)
- a generous handful of chopped coriander
- the juice of a lime
- two fat garlic cloves, chopped
- half a medium sized onion, chopped
- a chili, chopped (use however much you want depending on how hot you want it; I like it hot so I use half a home-grown scotch bonnet)
- pinch of salt
- pinch of sugar
- place all the ingredients in a bowl.
- mix with a hand blender.
- place in the fridge for about an hour for the flavours to infuse (or place the tomatoes in the freezer while you get the rest of the ingredients ready so that you can munch on it like a little piglet as soon as it's blended - that's what I do).
I haven't bought ready made salsa from the shops since. It tastes so much better, so much fresher, you can't beat it. Try it and let me know what you think!