Friday 17 June 2011

Last bit of Normandie


Totally totally late. I know. But I still wanted to post about this. Because amidst the chaos that is work/ packing the flat away/ my mum being over for a few days, I had to cheer myself up and think of holidays again. Oh how nice it was back then! It seems like ages ago now, which is quite worrying. This year has just flown by and even though I know where it went (Cambodia, looking for a house, Normandy), it seems a little scary that we’re pretty much half way through 2011 already.


Anyway, today’s post wasn’t meant to get everyone down, to worry about how time is going by so quickly and we’re all getting old and it’s bloody scary. No, I wanted to remind myself of lovely days gone by, wonderful days enjoyed by the seaside in France. Everyone loves pretty photos right? Follow me then. We started in Honfleur, not far from where we were dropped off by the ferry…


Walked along the lovely beaches of Deauville which looked like they should be somewhere in the Caribbean…


Enjoyed some beautifully sunny days along the coast of the Presqu’ile du Cotentin…


And some not so sunny days at the Mont St Michel where the views where simply magnificent…


And the abbey was equally charming…


The trip was rather educational too and we visited several World War II memorials, cemeteries and museums, some new, some we’d been to before…




It was very emotional at times, as you can imagine, but I do think that visiting these places on a regular basis, reminding ourselves about what has happened in our countries, does a lot of good to our way of thinking and view of the world. There’s nothing quite like it to make you feel terribly grateful for what you have. And work to ensure that atrocities like that never happen again.

Here's to holidays that make you think, relax, and be happy.

2 comments:

Diane said...

We visited most of these places last August - you took me right back! Its a beautiful place. I adored Honfleur. xxx

The Curious Cat said...

Takes me back to year 8 when we went to Normandy. I would like to go back again...I remember it quite well but it would be lovely to revisit. I remember the beach and the weather being so nice...and the interesting food and the various places we visited. Beautiful, haunting, sad and incredibly interesting...xxx