Monday 6 June 2011

Alfa and cushion love

The Beast has been renamed.

She is no longer a beast but rather a dear dear friend. She was made in Spain, so I reckon her brand name Alfa suits her well enough.

She is no longer a beast because I was shown how to use her, and I’m no longer intimidated by her rustic look and old-fashioned eccentricities. She is beautiful and has already been very good to me.

She’s made me feel comfortable, comfortable enough to make my first project. I started with the most simple thing and made a round cushion insert. All I needed to do was to cut two pieces of fabric and sew along the edges using the running stitch, stuff it and sew it shut. It didn’t matter that it didn’t look perfect because it would be hidden inside the cushion. I know, rather elemental, but so pleasing to start with something so very satisfying and stress-free.

So here is the front side of the crochet cushion (started way back here)…


And the back…


And now all plumped up on the matching Arc-en-ciel blanket!!


So so lovely, so colourful! It makes me terribly happy thinking that this is all so pretty and happy and I made it all and it’s just frigging brilliant!!! I stuffed the cushion with some leftover washable toy stuffing I had lying around, but also with some yarn cut offs that I’d kept in a little bag… I knew they’d come in handy one day!


Knowing that there’s a little bit of each and every single knitted and crochet project that I’ve ever worked on in this little cushion of mine, well it just makes me squeal with delight.


I only have one uncertainty. See the back there with the wooden button opening/ closing? I was wondering whether I should leave it as it is, as a cute detail kind of thing, or whether I should make more of a feature of it... what's the opinion out there?

7 comments:

Hazel said...

Very very nice. I like the buttons as they are. Gorgeous colours. x

Unknown said...

:0) - I'm quite liking the button detail. Well done, it looks lovely. x

Susana said...

A mí me gusta como queda así con los botones y es más práctico para sacar el relleno.
Un saludo.
Susana.

The Curious Cat said...

Wow! Looks ace! Your living room is going to be colourtastic! ;) I particularly like the buttons - nice touch! Eventually (after my ever growing jealousy overcomes me of other bloggers and their crochet skills) I will find some time somewhere and attempt this myself...maybe...I hope...wishful thinking...?! xxx

Me said...

Wow! Its very cute. Well done you- you're ever so right to be proud! xxx

Lucy in the Clouds said...

Beautiful pictures, love the close-ups! I was going to comment on how much I loved the button details even before you prompted us so I vote leave them as they are :) xx

Made in Suisse said...

I too vote for keeping the buttons as they are. I looove the cushion! xx